Teacher training courses provide instruction in the Orton-Gillingham Approach, a phonetic, rule-based, structured, multisensory approach to teaching reading and spelling. It is a systematic and cumulative approach involving intensive reinforcement. All courses include supervised clinical practice teaching with testing procedures and data collection to evaluate student progress. Each course participant practices for a total of 18 hours with a student while under the supervision of a master teacher. Graduate credit is available through Hamline University.
Orton Gillingham of Minnesota is accredited by the International Multisensory Structured Language Education Council (IMSLEC). Professionals that are certified through Orton-Gillingham of Minnesota are able to display OG-CT, Orton-Gillingham Certified Teacher, or OG-CTT, Orton-Gillingham Certified Teacher Trainer.
- Courses are open to teachers, tutors, parents, and paraprofessionals interested in multi-sensory language instruction.
- Accredited by the International Multisensory Structured Language Education Council (IMSLEC).
- A class confirmation will be sent by email two weeks before the start of your course.
- Refund policy: $100 fee for cancellations after the registration deadline. No refunds for cancellations on or after the first day of class.
- Hamline graduate credit available. Registration during first day of class.
- Certificate given for maximum 50 hours of course work for each class.
- Introductory, Intermediate, Practicum and Advanced courses must be taken in order and all participants with no previous Orton-Gillingham training must begin with Introductory Course and Practicum.
- OG Reading Readiness does not have any prerequisites and can be taken independently
- If attendance at all 10 sessions is uncertain, please consider registering for a future session.
- Scholarship information is available.
If you have questions regarding registration for courses, student tutorials or other general questions, please contact us here or call 612-314-8088.
Comments from Past Courses
“In conclusion, it is important for me to realize that effective reading instruction depends not only on what I do as a teacher but also the depth and quality of [what] I understand [to] guide my instruction.” –Fourth grade teacher
“I would encourage anyone who works with children to take this training. It is a concise, brilliant development for teaching students. I experienced immediate success and it has boosted my confidence as a teacher. The instructors are excellent! The material was presented in an easy to understand manner. I received great coaching throughout and all my questions were answered.” Reading Specialist, Grades 1-5, Minneapolis
“This has been one of the best classes I have taken…on any subject! The course was well-organized, the instructors were excellent, and it was loaded with good information.” Reading Specialist, Grades K-6, Minneapolis
“I would definitely recommend this training to others. It was professionally very informative and stimulating. I found it most valuable to finally find a method of helping struggling readers and the use of a multisensory approach.” First Grade Teacher, Chanhassen
“I started using O-G last year. I have seen my most struggling students use tracing to help when reading. All my students made huge gains on the CRST Assessment, which I gave at the beginning and middle of the year. They are applying these skills to their daily work. Reading levels all went up, too. The best part is seeing the smiles on my students’ faces because they are feeling successful.” Second Grade Teacher, Edina
“The practicum was invaluable. Having that experience with instructors close by was the very best approach for me. I am confident that this method will help all students, not just those with special needs.” Third Grade Teacher, Chanhassen
“This training is essential to the reading success of many of our students who lack phonological awareness. It is a great tool! The instructors are very capable and very patient!” Third Grade Teacher, Minneapolis
“Over the past two years I have been so impressed with the OGM organization. They do a wonderful job of preparing teachers and tutors to work with students. The instructors come with practical experience. They were so willing to share ideas and strategies. I have so many new skills and ideas to use with my students. I know that learning OG from another organization would not have been of such high quality.” Parent and Tutor.